By Amika Limbu
BY 12 noon, it became clear that Congress ke barah bajgaye phir ek baar as the Narendra Modi juggernaut rolled on across the length and breadth of the country. First time in the history of the country, a party has registered a second wave. No other leader or Prime Minister in India’s independent history has been able to create two consecutive waves in the general election. It has been done by none other than Narendra Damodar Modi, the magical man from Gujarat.
As the trends stormed in, it became clear just when someone was sipping his hot morning cup of chai, that the chaiwalla of a bygone era was here to rule the modern world, once again and with a thumping majority. It was an election which was about Modi versus the rest. In the second time in five years, Modi has made them bite the dust, made them roll in cesspool, completely run over them, blew them to pieces. Narendra Modi has indeed emerged the great man of India as he stands today.
The TV channel anchors of the likes of Arnab Goswami and Navika Kumari were seen jumping from their seats as if they have won the elections. Other pro BJP channels like Zee and Rajat Sharma’s India TV were not far behind. NDTV studio was neither here nor there. Prannoy Roy kept is cool and so were Nidhi Razdhan and Srinivasan Jain. Shekhar Gupta but looked a bit down with Modi coming back to power.
Smiriti Irani leading over Congress president Rahul Gandhi in Amethi. Rahul has apparently gone in to hiding. In a spiritual twist to the election, Sadhvi Pragya Singh from Bhopal who was leading over Congress’ motormouth Digvijay Singh while Jai Siddeshwar Maharaj was leading over Sushilkumar Shinde in Solpaur.
Here’s what it panned across the country at 12 noon
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi was himself leading in Varanasi
* Congress president Rahul Gandhi, god knows where he is, trails Smriti Irani of BJP
* Amit Shah leading in Gandhinagar
* Devi Gowda leads
* Supriya Sule leads Baramati
* Parth Pawar trails by trails by over a lakh votes
* Actor Amol Kolhe of NCP leading
* Congress State chief Ashok Chavan trails
* Prakash Ambedkar trailing in both seats of Akola and Solapur
* Dhananjay Mahadik trails in Kolhapur
* Udyanraje Bhosale leads in Satara
* Raju Shetti trails in Hatkanangle seat
* Urmila Martondkar trails in Mumbai seat
* Girish Bapat leads in Pune seat